domingo, 18 de marzo de 2012

Bocas del Toro (Panama) - ENG-

I am really sorry about the delay. Almost 6 weeks  later and after many many places I need to write about.

But I want to keep the chronological order, even if I left Bocas del Toro so long  time ago.

I write again in English because of the lovely people I met there. Most of them couldn´t speak spanish at all. So I think they deserve this small exception.

I left Costa Rica and went to Almirante with some troubles.

First, I reached the Costa  Rica-Panama border in Sixaola after 8 hours in 3 different buses with no seat possibilities due to the overbooking. I was sitting literally on the floor or on the exit stairs...

When I was at costarican border at 4:45 pm, they told me I couldn´t cross on that day, because the border at the Panama side closes also at 5 pm. And I couldn´t get the stamp and cross the bridge in just 15 minutes.

So I had no choice. I had to stay one night longer in Costa Rica, in the dirty, ugly and empty of tourist facilites Sixaola. Nothing to do at all. So I went to sleep early and I got up at 6:30 am to go Bocas del Toro.


I crossed the border with unpleasant surprise there was a strike, which had cut most of the main roads on the north of the country. So I had to take three different taxis going through alternative paths, avoiding stones and barricades.

When you see something like that, you think: "Ok, maybe I´m not in the right place at the right time."


But it was not so bad as it seems. I jumped on the taxi and met nice Panamians, who explained me about the situation. The indigenous strikers were protesting the effects of proposed hydroelectric and mining projects on their lands. This matter is unfortunately not a new thing.


Once I arrived in Almirante I took the speed boat to Colón, the main island in the archipelago Bocas del Toro.


There was so many accommodation possibilities, but I was really lucky and I came to Heike:, definitely the BEST hostel I ´ve ever been.


Colón is also a nice chill-out place too walk around. Quite relaxing, welcoming and friendly atmosphere. 100% caribean.


But of course the highlight in Bocas del Toro are the beaches. Cute white-sandy beaches plenty of coconuts threes.


It was really nice everyhwhere. Almost the paradise. the only bad new it was we were trapped in the town. Because of the strike there was no possibilty to leave Bocas del Toro heading to any place. Every single road was still blocked, and we had to wait. Well, I was in the perfect place for such an undetermined waiting time.


But to reach the different islands we had to take water taxis. It was not really expensive, but because of the strike there was not enough gasoline for everybody, and our stupid boat driver didn´t take into account this thing. So we spent all the gasoline before we could reach the town and in the different floating petrol stations was no gasoline at all. Neither the other boat drivers wanted to share the limited liquid. So he called someone in town, who came extra to rescue us with one gallon of gasoline.


We spent all the day just enjoying. Sun, sand and water.


And from time to time came to us a kid some leaves to show us something and ask for some money. The famous red frog, which gives name to the beach we were.


Nice but dangerous water. We had a bad experience, but fortunately nothing serious happened. But almost.

When you read this kind of warning, you don´t really think, that can happen to you. But it can!!


That happened to us. I was swimming with Lethisa, my roommate in Heike Hostel, when suddenly we realize we were quite far away from the shore. We start swimming forward, but we just came even more deep inside in the sea. We got nervous. Both of us. Letisha was telling me, she couldn´t swimm for long time and she started geting tired. I was really scared, but I had to keep calm and show her, it was everything fine, as long she keeps calm and listens to me.

I remenbered this notice and knew how we should avoid the rip.


We quit trying swimming forward and we did to the right. It was not easy, but after some seconds (for me it was like an eternity) we could get closer and closer to the shore. We were saved.

Never, never underestimate the sea. Even if it looks like the fucking paradise.


Speaking of my roomates. Let me introduce you to my wonderful three aussie roomies: Tereza, Natasha and Letizia (from right to to left). We spent 3 nights in the same 4-beds room. It was an amazing time with you, roomies, and I will never forget you!


I had a great time also with all of you, guys. Sorry if I don´t post photos of all of you, but believe, according to your faces, it ´s better so...

Welll, with Sandra "Bushido" Hermannplatz, I will make one exception.


Thank you to everybody for those amazing days. It was a great time with you, guys! I will never forget you!!


3 comentarios:

  1. A ver, no estarás harto de la arena entre los dientes y la sal de mar en tu piel? Dime la verdad ;D

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Me iba a molestar por no ver fotos mías y de Pablo pero luego de ver la foto de Sandra creo que fue una buena decisión censurar otras...jajaja
    Saludos desde Chile!!!!

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Harto? por mí la huelga podía haber durado 5 meses!

    ResponderEliminar