sábado, 16 de julio de 2011

Thai-food (Thailand) -ENG-

I use to say, that english is just my 4th best language. I don´t think it is so complicate to write. For sure much easier than italian. You can´t see the movements of my hands to understand me. So I write in english also from time to time.

I´m in A-Class Bus going to Chiang Khon, on the north border to Laos. We spend there just on nigth, and tomorrow we will take the two-days slow boat trip to Luang Prabang. It´s supposed to be long, but not boring. Maybe even the highlight of this first 3 weeks.

We left today the disapointing Chiangmai. The backpackers paradise, and almost our nightmare. There is practically nothing to see or do in the city, except drinking with australian, english and dutch backpackers, making a trekking tour, paintball, rafting or whatever other freak adventure experience, you can do in other 6000 cites in the world.

There was just one other massive offer everywhere in the shops in the city. A Thai-food course. "It sounds good. It probably tastes also good. Why not?"

So we made a four hours course with a very friendly staff, who spoke english with a mixure between Thai and California accent. They took us before to a traditional market close to the house, and they explained us the most important ingredients in the thai-cuisine. They explained the difference between some spices, herbs, vegetables, noodles and fruits.

Once back, we could choose which courses we wanted to prepare. This was my election:



Phad-thai (Fried noodles thai style)
This one is probably our favourite dish. Easy to order, or cook in this case. Delicious and healthy. It´s nice to see how the people here prepare it for you at the moment. It´s like a live show, and we wanted to learn how to make it. The result: excellent. I was surprised how good my own food tastes. Lilly, lilly good...



Som-tam (Papaya Salad)

Easy and quick to prepare, but extremelly tasty. I had eaten it a lot of times at home in Berlin with Tra, my flatmate. Like at home, but with too much Phrik Ki Noo (mouse shit chilli) and believe me, it was the spiciest food Ì´ve ever tasted. My mouth was burning, but I ate all on the plate. I love this burning feeling, but I can´t recommend it. Please kids, don´t make that at home. It´s can be extremely dangerous.

The smaller the chilli, the spicier it tastes, and I took like 7 of the smallest to make my one-person salad. My fault. I don´t regret it.



Gaeng-keau-waan-kai (Green curry with chicken)

Also for curry there are different types: green (middle), red (spicy), yellow (very hot).

Also quite easy to cook and with a very nice herbs taste.



Tom Yum(Seafood in coconut milk soup)

There is the same soup but made with chicken, but I personally prefer the seafood- God! I love this soup. It tastes so good, I could eat every single day. 



Unfortunatelly there was no dessert option. I wanted to prepare one of my favourites here: mango with sticky rice or banana in coconut milk.

It was anyway a very pleasent experience and friendly way to discover more about the thai-food. I will repeat it as soon as I can. 




2 comentarios:

  1. Una vez hice un courso de cocina china en Berlin, excellente!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. mmmmm YUM!! Sieht so lecker aus...insbesondere die Suppe :D Ich möchte gerne auch irgendwann sowas machen,obwohl ich schon soooo gut kochen kann ;) Nudeln mit Käse-sauce? paaaaa!
    Rebecca

    ResponderEliminar